First dates are very important and go a long way in setting the tone for a relationship. First impressions are made and how well the date goes decides if you or your date qualify for a second date, friendship or relationship.
Here are 5 tips you should know when going on a first date.
1. Meet in an open space: This is ideal especially if you’re meeting physically for the first time or it’s a blind date. A restaurant or a cinema beats a club or their house.
2. Be open minded: Going on a date is like going grocery shopping, you already have an idea of what you’re looking for, but you might end up going home with something else. Don’t jump into conclusions about a person’s personality before you go on the date or it might affect and set the tone of the date.
3. Comfort is key: It’s just a date not a red carpet event or a pageant so you might want to ditch those sky high heels and that gown you can’t breathe in. You looking or being uncomfortable will make them uncomfortable.
4. Have extra cash: This is very important. Always have extra money (aka vex money) to pay for your transportation to and from the date and to also pay for your meal or movie. Even if the other party is a walking bank, still have enough money to cover your expenses so you don’t end up on Twitter tweeting #MenAreScum.
5. Don’t bring a plus one: You are already the plus one, don’t invite your friend or roommate or sister. It leaves a bad impression. If you don’t feel safe around the person you’re going on a date with then don’t go at all. An extra person mean extra cost that the other person didn’t bargain for and it ruins the vibe of the date as your date would have to be polite enough to make small talk with the plus one.
Most importantly, have fun and stay safe.